Maryland Lottery players win millions of dollars every day
Maryland Lottery winners: Did you know?
- Maryland Lottery players have taken home more than $1 billion in prizes every year for the past 10 years.
- The Maryland Lottery created 15 new millionaires in Fiscal Year 2018.
- 701 winning tickets worth at least $10,000 were claimed last fiscal year.
- Five $2 million winners
- 10 $1 million winners
- 58 $100,000 winners
- 136 $50,000 winners
- Second chances are great: The Lottery awarded 949 prizes through My Lottery Rewards, including cash, trips, electronics and even Ravens Season Tickets for 20 years!
Where does Maryland Lottery money go?
Maryland Lottery beneficiaries: Did you know?
- The Maryland Lottery is the fourth-largest contributor to the state’s General Fund after income, sales and corporate taxes.
- Maryland’s lawmakers use the General Fund to provide support for public schools, public health and safety, environmental programs and many other state services.
- For 10 consecutive years, the Lottery has contributed at least $510 million to the General Fund — including a record $576 million in Fiscal Year 2018.
- Since its first ticket was sold in 1973, the Lottery has contributed more than $16 billion to Maryland’s good causes and paid more than $25.6 billion in prizes to players.
When you play, everybody wins — including Lottery retailers
Maryland Lottery retailers: Did you know?
- There are 4,400 retailers across the state, including convenience stores, supermarkets, gas stations, corner grocers and local restaurants.
- All Lottery retailers are authorized to cash winning tickets up to $600, and about 350 Expanded Cashing Authority (XCAP) locations can cash up to $5,000. Click here to learn more.
- Retailers receive commissions on the tickets they sell and cash. They also receive bonuses for selling tickets that win high-dollar amounts, so when our players win big, our retailers do too!
- Commissions and bonuses totaled an all-time record of nearly $154 million in Fiscal Year 2018 — an average of more than $34,000 per retailer!
Please play responsibly — and know that help is available in Maryland
Responsible Gambling: Did you know?
- The Maryland Lottery strongly encourages responsible play. No one should spend more on Lottery tickets than their budget allows.
- Please remember that Maryland Lottery tickets are for adults. Our tickets are not sold or marketed to anyone under the age of 18, and should not be given to children as gifts.
- Free counseling is available for Maryland residents who have gambling problems.
- Call 1-800-GAMBLER (426-2537) or visit mdgamblinghelp.org for information on how to find help in your area. The phone line is staffed 24 hours a day.
The Maryland Lottery has games for all types of players
Lottery Fun & Games: Did you know?
- The Maryland Lottery is serious about the business of fun and games! We raise important revenue for the state, AND we have a great time doing it — with games, promotions and events.
- As part of the fabric of the community, the Maryland Lottery participates in more than 100 events each year. Check out our events calendar and come see us.
- From the Polar Bear Plunge, which benefits Maryland Special Olympics, to the Red Shoe Shuffle, supporting Ronald McDonald House Charities, the Maryland Lottery partners with many good causes.
- We meet and greet hundreds of Lottery winners each year. You’ve probably read their stories, but did you know there are hundreds more winners in our second-chance promotions? From cruises to cash, from season tickets to Ravens team trips, winning is definitely lots of fun!